Shaped By 163 Years of
Leadership & Innovation
The Weitz Company of today descends from a small carpentry shop founded in 1855 in Fort Des Moines, Iowa, by Charles H. Weitz, an entrepreneurial German immigrant. As the construction company grew, Charles Weitz handed down his craft, sense of values and quality to his sons, who in turn passed the family business on to their children for four generations.
Always an innovator, The Weitz Company pioneered the development of precast concrete exterior wall construction and became one of the largest producers of architectural precast concrete. During World War II, The Weitz Company supported the war effort by constructing ammunition plants in record time.
Weitz emerged as an employee-owned company in March 1995 when 36 stockholders purchased the business debt-free from the Weitz family. The number of employee shareholders continued to grow to more than 300 in the mid-2000s. During that time, The Weitz Company grew from a $250 million general contractor to a $1 billion industry leader.
In December 2012, Weitz was purchased by global engineering and construction contractor Orascom Construction Limited, positioning the company for even further growth and construction opportunities both nationally and internationally.
Supportive & Engaged with
Outstanding Industry Affiliates
The Weitz Company is associated with many industry-related organizations both on a national and local chapter level.
Some of these organizations include:
Associated Builders & Contractors; Associated General Contractors; American Institute of Architects; American Seniors Housing Association; American Society of Professional Engineers; American Subcontractors Association; Design-Build Institute of America; Lean Construction Institute; NAIOP; National Association of Women in Construction; United States Green Building Council; Urban Land Institute.